Ogbono soup is a popular West African soup made with ogbono seeds, which are ground into a powder and used to thicken the soup. It is a flavorful and hearty soup that can be enjoyed with a variety of sides, such as fufu, eba, or pounded yam.
This article will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to make ogbono soup. It will also cover some tips and tricks for making the perfect pot of ogbono soup.
- 1 cup ogbono seeds
- 1 pound beef, cut into chunks
- 1 pound goat meat, cut into chunks
- 1 pound dry fish
- 1 pound smoked fish
- 1 cup crayfish powder
- 1/2 cup palm oil
- 1/2 cup blended pepper mix (scotch bonnet peppers, onions, and tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped uziza leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped ugu leaves
- Salt to taste
- Grind the ogbono seeds. You can do this using a blender, food processor, or mortar and pestle.
- Cook the beef and goat meat. Heat the palm oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the beef and goat meat and cook until browned on all sides. Season with salt to taste.
- Add the dry fish and smoked fish. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through.
- Add the blended pepper mix and crayfish powder. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground ogbono seeds. Whisk until the ogbono seeds are dissolved and the soup is thick and smooth.
- Add the chopped onions, uziza leaves, and ugu leaves. Stir to combine and cook for 2 minutes, or until the leaves are wilted.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks:
- For a richer flavor, you can add a beef or goat bouillon cube to the soup.
- If you don’t have palm oil, you can use vegetable oil instead.
- If you want a spicier soup, add more scotch bonnet peppers to the blended pepper mix.
- If you don’t have uziza leaves, you can use spinach or collard greens instead.
- If you don’t have ugu leaves, you can use kale or Swiss chard instead.
Ogbono soup is a delicious and nutritious soup that is easy to make. With this step-by-step guide, you can make the perfect pot of ogbono soup every time. Enjoy!