Groundnuts soup, also known as peanut soup, is a popular and delicious soup dish that is enjoyed in many parts of the world, particularly in Africa. It is a hearty and nutritious soup that is made with groundnuts (peanuts), meat, vegetables, and spices. Groundnuts soup is a versatile dish that can be served with a variety of sides, such as rice, fufu, or yam.
- 1 cup groundnuts (peanuts)
- 1 pound meat (beef, chicken, or fish)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon palm oil
- 4 cups water
- Vegetables of your choice (such as carrots, potatoes, green beans, or spinach)
- Wash the groundnuts and soak them in water for at least 30 minutes.
- While the groundnuts are soaking, cook the meat until it is browned.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, and scotch bonnet pepper (if using) to the meat and cook until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the ginger, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne pepper to the pot and stir to combine.
- Drain the groundnuts and add them to the pot.
- Add the water and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the soup for 30 minutes, or until the groundnuts are tender.
- Add the vegetables of your choice and cook until they are tender.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup hot with your favorite sides.
- For a richer flavor, you can roast the groundnuts before blending them.
- If you don’t have a blender, you can grind the groundnuts using a mortar and pestle.
- If you want a thicker soup, you can add a cornstarch slurry to the pot at the end of cooking.
- To make a vegetarian version of this soup, simply omit the meat.
- Groundnuts soup with spinach: Add a handful of chopped spinach to the soup in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Groundnuts soup with coconut milk: Add 1/2 cup of coconut milk to the soup in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Groundnuts soup with prawns: Add 1/2 pound of cooked prawns to the soup in the last few minutes of cooking.
Q: What is the best type of meat to use in groundnuts soup?
A: Any type of meat can be used in groundnuts soup, but beef, chicken, and fish are the most popular choices.
Q: Can I make groundnuts soup without a blender?
A: Yes, you can make groundnuts soup without a blender. Simply grind the groundnuts using a mortar and pestle.
Q: How can I make my groundnuts soup thicker?
A: To make groundnuts soup thicker, you can add a cornstarch slurry to the pot at the end of cooking. To make a cornstarch slurry, simply mix together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water.
Q: Can I make a vegetarian version of groundnuts soup?
A: Yes, you can make a vegetarian version of groundnuts soup. Simply omit the meat.
Q: How long can I store groundnuts soup?
A: Groundnuts soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
Groundnuts soup is a delicious and nutritious soup dish that is easy to make. It is a versatile dish that can be served with a variety of sides, and it can be made vegetarian or vegan. With its rich flavor and creamy texture, groundnuts soup is sure to please everyone at the table.